There are many ways the ocean is important, some more obvious than others
There are many ways the ocean is important, some more obvious than others.
- Provides food.
- Provides oxygen through the photosynthesis of tiny plant-like organisms called phytoplankton. These organisms provide an estimated 50-85% of the oxygen we breathe and also have the ability to store excess carbon.
- Regulates climate.
- Is a source of important products such as medicines, and things that we use in food such as thickeners and stabilizers (which may be made from marine algae).
- Provides recreational opportunities.
- Contains natural resources such as natural gas and oil.
- Provides "highways" for transportation and trade. More than 98% of U.S. foreign trade occurs via the ocean